All the Posts
Customer Development Tactics
- Who Should Your Early Customer Be?
- Should I Send a Survey? No.
- Should I Send a Survey? Still No.
- Why Asking for Stories Beats Asking Questions
- Should I Send a Survey? Sure, If...
- Should I Send a Survey? Before You Hit 'Send' --
- The Busy Sidewalk Test
- The 'Do's' and 'Don'ts' of Cold Emailing Your First Question Is Usually Wrong
- 10 Things I've Learned About Customer Development
- Build-Measure-Learn or Learn-Build-Measure?
- 3 (+1) Ways To Request -- And Get -- A Face-to-Face Meeting
- Give Your Emails a Friend Check
- Can We Come Visit You?
- Give Permission to Complain
- Be (Appropriately) Lazy
- Send It Personally
- Customer Comments, Deciphered
- Don't Forget the Hidden Customer(s)
- Double Negative Leads to Proof Positive
- All Customers Are Not Created Equal - Consumers, SMBs, Tech Startups
- All Customers Are Not Created Equal - Large Enterprise Customers, Existing Customers
Building a Culture of Customer Development and Research
- How Do Customer Development and Product Management Fit Together?
- How to Coax Reluctant Engineers to Join Customer Development
- Is That the BIGGEST Problem?
- Orders of Magnitude: Power Users vs. Mainstream Users
- Listening and Acting: Power Users vs. Mainstream Users
- What Does 'Wishful Thinking' Validation Look Like?
- Poke Your Bruises
- 5 Ways to Ensure Usability Testing Results Aren't Ignored
- If You Fail to Plan to Fail, You Plan to Fail
- Is Your Company Mature Enough to Learn from User Research?
- 3 Questions We Should Stop Asking
- You Need To Make Wanting No Longer 'Free'
- What Would We Do if We Had An Answer to That Question
- What You Will/Won't Learn From Usability Testing
- Which One Solves the Problem Better?
Behavioral Economics and Cognitive Psychology
- Why You Should Do More of What You Dread
- Avoid the 'Butt-Brush Effect'
- Challenges, Not Chores
- What Does It Replace?
- ...And Here's Why...
- Announcing Change Without Inducing Panic
- How to Apologize
- 5 Secrets of Post-Conference Follow-ups
- A Different Talk, Each Time
- Anatomy of a Great Conference Talk
- Are You Asking People to Ignore You?
- Make the Intro Easy
- 6 Goals for Product Design Teams
- Designers, Lose the 'Mystery Meat'
- Perception Trumps Reality
- Quick Method for Testing Copy Variations
- The Improved New User Experience That Wasn't
- Signed Up? Yes. Converted? No.
- It's Valuable Because I Said So
- How Not to Write a Book
- The Biggest Risk in Hiring Product People
- You Can't Visualize Bullet Points
- Why Can't They Just...?
Culture and Leadership
- It's Not Okay to Not Have a Parental Leave Policy
- The Minimum Viable Mothers' Room
- Good Interviewing Doesn't 'Just Happen'
- Here's Why I Don't Read Your Resume
- Take a Chance on People Making Changes
- The Myth of the 'Self-Starter'
- It's Okay to Agree When Things Suck
- The 6-Person Discussion
- Hiring the Right 'Big Company' People for Startups
- Would You Apply to This Job?
- I Wouldn't Apply... and Here's Why
- Maintaining Culture
- 2 Revealing 1:1 Questions