Cindy Alvarez - Serious About Getting Great Products Launched
- Product management leader with 10+ years of accomplishments in designing and launching successful products used by Fortune 50 customers and millions of end user consumers.
- Proven success at turning new ideas into launched products through building successful cross-functional teams, fostering a culture of design-driven product development and user experience innovation, and rolling up sleeves to get the details right.
- Equally capable at delving into product requirements and negotiating with engineers as presenting to executive-level customer decision-makers and industry analysts.
ExperienceKISSmetrics 2009 - present
KISSmetrics helps you do the impossible and make better decisions to improve your web-based business. As product manager and customer development chief, I work with customers to continually improve our KISSmetrics and KISSinsights products.
Loomia helps publishers to be more profitable. Our recommendations technology allows publishers to promote their most valuable content, through uniting customer needs and solid science.
Within a month of joining Loomia, I re-engineered the product strategy to create products that directly met customer needs, enabling us to move from an ad-sponsored hard to monetize model to a more profitable and predictable subscription-based model.
- Turned customer feedback into requirements for new Targeted Content Promotion product. Directly managed product from market research to launch in less than 4 months. Launching with two customers in December 2008.
- Identified market need for Video Discovery recommendations product. Directly managed product end-to-end and worked with business development to partner with Brightcove for distribution.
- Managed launch of updated corporate website, on-time and under budget.
- Through direct customer collaboration, incorporated their needs into completely revamped product roadmap. As a direct result, Loomia is considered a differentiated solution rather than the commoditized, low-priced "widget" reputation it previously held.
- Successfully delivered automatic content parser and web-based configuration products which reduce average deployment time from weeks to days. Expected to phase out manual customer deployments by Q1 2009.
- Manage day-to-day process of translating product roadmap into launched product - writing PRDs and user stories, prioritizing 2-week agile iterations, working hands-on with engineers and QA.
YODLEE, INC. 2002-2008
Yodlee provides web-based banking software to the world's largest financial institutions, including Bank of America, American Express, Citigroup, and Fidelity Investments. Product suite is actively used by over 3MM end-user consumers worldwide and encompasses online services for personal finance, bill payments, mobile banking, and funds transfer.
2006 - present
Responsible for global 15-person organization that owns the user experience and common platform for the entire Yodlee product line, encompassing multiple product management, product design, and technical publications teams. Teams are based in Redwood City, CA and at the company's offices in Bangalore, India.Strategic Achievements:
- Created and led unified platform product management and design group that serves as primary interface between line-of-business product marketing managers and the 100+ person engineering organization.
- Recognized gap in engineering execution on front-end product requirements and drove creation of new UI engineering group to evangelize accessibility, standards compliance, and reusability of front-end code
- Shaped multiple global operating best practices and process improvements that help enable Yodlee to perform end-to-end web product development - spanning product management, design, and engineering activities - for portions of its platform entirely in India. Yodlee is one of the few US-based web companies of its size to do so.
- Guided evolution of flagship Yodlee PersonalFinanceSM product, whose now widely-emulated user experience is setting the industry direction for how consumers will eventually bank, pay bills, and manage their finances online
- Launched version 1.0 Mobile Banking product and multiple platform components
- Co-inventor on new patent-pending Bill Pay AcceleratorSM product, evolving it from concept to clickable prototype to working product before transitioning it to one of my product managers. Launched with first customer (Capital One) in Oct. 2007
- Instrumental in landing multi-million dollar custom co-branding and platform integration engagement with top 10 financial institution
- Led joint 10-person internal and customer team to deliver bill pay product prototype; solution received rave reviews from multiple usability testing sessions and is in development for early 2008 delivery
- Re-engaged top 10 credit card issuing customer, resulting in new strategy to drive consumer adoption and commitment to multi-million dollar marketing campaign promoting the co-branded service
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DESIGN
2002 - 2006
Led 7-person design team handling all aspects of user experience, interaction design, and user research for the entire suite of Yodlee products. Hired as company's first dedicated software design professional.Strategic Achievements:
- Built strong product design organization from "one-woman shop" to 7-person team handling interaction design, visual design, and production of all design deliverables for entire Yodlee suite of applications
- Pioneered company's user research program with $50K annual budget, conducting one-on-one usability testing, surveys, and market research
- Instilled a "user experience culture," gaining buy-in across multiple organizations that product quality directly drives user adoption
- Grew product line from a single product with narrow market focus to a suite of five products with mainstream appeal and world-class financial institution customers - increasing active end users from 1MM to over 3MM
- Doubled success rate on application registrations and account setup through user research and redesign
- Drove re-invented flagship Yodlee PersonalFinanceSM product from early vision to customer launch, pioneering a new, innovative approach to rich online banking and web-based personal financial management
- Strong pre-sales involvement in multiple Fortune 500 customer deals resulting in over $10MM in bookings
- Presented at annual Customer Summit to an audience of EVP and SVP-level executives from company's largest financial institution customers on online banking trends and Yodlee's market-leading user experience approach
- Won 2006 "Best of the Web" online banking award for Bank of America's deployment of Yodlee PersonalFinanceSM
TEAMSPHERE INTERACTIVE, 1999-2002
TeamSphere was a venture-backed video games tools and development company that enabled video game publishers and developers to quickly and cost-effectively add persistent online features and premium services to their console, PC, and mobile games. Customers included SEGA, Vivendi Universal, and ESPN Videogames.
As one of three founding members, responsible for interaction design, visual design, and information architecture for web-based software platform encompassing 200+ screens, including a dozen modular portlet applications and an innovative co-branding engine for which a US patent application was filed.
- Led end-to-end product design vision and implementation, including production of all deliverables: storyboards, wireframes, and dev-ready HTML/CSS
- Internally drove adoption of design-driven iterative software development process, resulting in improved UI/UE consistency, more efficient engineering, and higher product quality
- Coordinated client engagements to co-brand the platform to fit seamlessly with their existing style standards and user experience
- Supervised junior interaction designer
Education and Professional Memberships
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
- Past Director, San Francisco Women on the Web (SFWoW)
- Member of Interaction Designers Association (IxDA) and BayCHI
- Elected to membership in the Hispanic IT Executive Council (HITEC) in Oct. 2007, an organization comprised of influential Hispanic technology executives primarily at Fortune 500 companies
- Guest lecturer at the National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad, India. NID is India's premier design school and accepts only 20 students per year into its post-graduate interaction design program. Gave 2-day lecture course on interaction design techniques and collaborating with commercial product management and engineering teams.
- Presented at the User Interface SIG of EBIG (East Bay Innovation Group) on successful design strategies for improving website registration rates
- Won Online Banking Report's “Best of the Web” 2006, for Bank of America's My Portfolio service powered by Yodlee PersonalFinanceSM